Monday, May 25, 2015

Our Summer 2015 Reading List

Accidental Teacher:
     
     Can you believe I feel like there's a few books missing from this particular list?  I actually have an innumerable amount of books on my Kindle and book list, but these are the books I want completed before we start school again.  Also, just FYI, while I still like cracking open an actual book; the weight of it in my hands and the feeling of the pages I also like the convenience of the Kindle.  How else would I store over a 100 books?  Now to the kids:

A380:

Little Toughie:
   
     They will both read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

     These are their assigned books.  I want to make sure they truly understand what they're reading but since my daughter can't write a book report and my son has difficulties with comprehension and putting his thoughts on paper, I'm going to give them different options to share with me what they've read.

     My daughter is great at narration (it's the actress in her) so I'm going to challenge her a bit and have her write a letter to one of the characters in the book and/or draw a comic strip representing her favorite part of the book.  My son, on the other hand, is neither a narrator or actor or reader, for that matter.  Honestly, I struggle with getting him to read, so I may have to read those books aloud to him, but even that can be difficult because he's not an auditory processor either.  This is where the book How Am I Smart will (hopefully) help me.  As you can tell by his code name, he loves airplanes and I've recently discovered that he likes books with pictures that have a lot of information accompanying them.  Much like the airline magazines he reads and this recent book on fire stations.  Not picture books for kids, but books like the Usborne Encyclopedias.  I may ask him to create a magazine telling me about his favorite part of the books or what he learned from them.

     Either way, I can't wait for us to dive in.  Oh, and to make things even more interesting for my kids I created Summer Reading Bingo cards.  When they black out all the spaces they get to select a book at Barnes & Noble to take home.

Do you have a summer reading list?

Please share it on our Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments require approval. Thank you for reading Accidental Teacher, On Purpose.