Saturday, August 30, 2014

Year 2, Weeks 5 and 6


     We've already come to this?  I've already somehow missed a week and am having to catch up?  I don't even know if I can remember what we did two weeks ago but I'm going to try!

     Week 5 the kids memorized and recited a poem for The Principal.  They memorized "The Months" by Sara Coleridge  They were very proud of themselves (We are too!).  It's actually a lovely poem and a great way to introduce the months and seasons to your kids.

     We continued our studies of the California Missions.  My kids are trying to memorize them via a song, but we're having a hard time coming up with a tune that's can carry all 21 missions.  We're almost done, just three more to go.  Our Classical Conversations class begins in two weeks, so our studies will shift.  Cycle 3 here we come!

     I remember in my last post I mentioned Free Time and how I was going to bring up Quiet Time in this post.  Quiet Time is something I learned about during the homeschool convention.  One presenter (an experienced mom and homeschooler for 17 years) said that every day she would make her kids separate and have quiet time to themselves.  During this 20-30 minute time period they could read a book, draw, quietly play a game,  or even catch up on any school work (if they wanted to).  However, the key was that it had to be quiet and they had to be by themselves.  It gave each child the opportunity to refresh but also take a little time to be in their own space, perhaps get creative or take in what the day has presented to them thus far.

     Our Quiet Time is usually right after lunch.  After playing outside (while I work out) to build up their appetite, they march on in, wash up and help me make their lunch.  When they're done chowing down they both wash their dishes (Parents, please teach your kids how to clean, especially if you have boys!) and head off to each of their bedrooms for 30 minutes.  Every now and then I have to remind them to separate and sometimes they'll argue that they can read quietly in one or the other's room, but I want them to learn how to take some time for themselves.  Most of the time, my daughter will end up softly singing her own worship song or making a book.  My son will read his commercial airline magazines and pick up on things he didn't see previously.  During this time, I'm catching up on email and going over what was done earlier in the day and what else needs to be completed.


Quiet Time sometimes includes reading to the pup!

     It sounds a little selfish, asking them to take time for themselves, but it's quite the opposite.  I think they need to learn how to be alone so that they can help others.  I think they need to know what to do with themselves when there's no one else around.  I think they need to learn to grow in silence and solitude, perhaps hear the voice of God.  I think they need to learn how to harness their thoughts into action, to learn how to solve problems without distractions; to think of the world beyond what they see on a daily basis.  I for one do not want my kids staring at a screen, counting on someone else to entertain them, get them to think and keep them busy.  I want them to use their God-given noggin and plug into their creative outlet, not the t.v. or latest electronic gadget!

     "The monotony and solitude of a quite life stimulates the creative mind." -Albert Einstein



Linked up at Managing Your Blessings|The Homeschool Mother's Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments require approval. Thank you for reading Accidental Teacher, On Purpose.